Honor Roll

Taken from Mendocino paper

The most terrible tragedy that has disturbed Point Arena for a quarter of a century occurred Wednesday night shortly before 11 o’clock when Marshal John Dixon was shot through the heart with a Springfield army rifle by William S. Harvey.

During the evening Harvey was about town and had a few drinks. When he became slightly intoxicated, the saloon men refused to give him more liquor. He went home and got his rifle, and walked into Sid Groshong’s saloon and asked for a drink, but Sid refused. He asked why, and was told that he was under the influence and could not get any more. With that Harvey raised his rifle, which he carried by his side, and said: “I will show you whether I will or not. You can go and get your Marshal, but I don’t think you will.” Mr. Groshong reached the door just as Marshal Dixon came up, and in a second the rifle cracked and the officer fell to the sidewalk a corpse. Harvey then stepped out and took hold of the dead body and said, “Dick, you – – – get up. I want to talk to you.” He shook the body considerably and took off the star and put it in his pocket. He returned to the saloon and helped himself to two bottles of whiskey, most of which he drank. Harvey then started up the street and seeing Thomas Moungovan, who was getting out of his way, called to him not to run as he would not shoot him. With this assurance Mr. Moungovan started toward him, when he leveled his rifle as if intending to shoot and Moungovan got out of the way.

Harvey went down Laurel Street ad sat down behind a pile of lumber, where he remained until about 1 o’clock, and then went home.

Constable Ball and Tom Moungovan went to the house a half hour later and found their man lying on the bed asleep. They aroused him, put on handcuffs and locked him up in the town jail.

Coroner Fred Warren held an inquest on the body and the jury returned a verdict in accordance with the above facts.

John F. Dixon has been Marshal of the City of Point Arena ever since its incorporation. Several times he had occasion to take care of Harvey and lock him up, which created an unfriendly feeling toward the officer and which asserted itself when the man became intoxicated.

The unfortunate affair is keenly felt by our people.

The murdered man was born in Utah, June 6, 1871. He has lived in Point Arena since he was three years old. On October 29, 1901, he married Mary Reilly.

William Harvey was employed in the blacksmith shop of N>P> Howe. He is a good mechanic and when sober a quiet, well-behaved man, but under the influence of liquor is just the reverse. He is a married man, but has no children.

Harvey was sentenced to serve 40 years in San Quentin by Judge White. He was tried for the killing of Marshal John Dixon of Point Arena on September 23, and convicted of murder in the second degree. It took the jury over 24 hours to arrive at a decision.

Harvey’s attorney tried to prove that the defendant was temporarily insane, caused by over-indulgence in intoxicating liquor.

District Attorney McCowen’s arguments, however, were to the effect that Harvey’s act was cold-blooded murder and that he was a man of bad reputation when drinking.

The case went to trial Wednesday morning in the Superior Court at Ukiah before the following jury: L.B. Kneeland, W.K. Ford, S.A. Fortune, J.A. Gibson, Harry Cameron, W.M. Ford, J.W. Wilson, Ukiah; G. Cameron, Navarro; A. Bowman, Laytonville; O.S. Babcock, Boonville; J. A. McMaster, Mendocino; and L. Hoag, Boonville.